Saturday, July 14, 2007

Welcome to the Road to Gumption

Hello, and welcome to this new blog on the topic of balancing one's work and personal life priorities. I will be sharing my observations and thoughts on the topic through periodic posts, and welcome your comments and your experiences as well. Work-life balance is a very broad discussion, but the important thing is to have a discussion about it. That's what I wanted to foster when I wrote The Road to Gumption.

My starting observation is a seed for future thought and discussion. The very advances that make us more productive in the workplace today are potentially the things that create a misalignment of work and personal priorities. A recent survey showed that something like one-third of workers on vacation still use email for business purposes during that vacation. That would include BlackBerries, Treos, and hotel high-speed Internet connections.

So technologies that should allow us to get our work done in less time, in some cases cause us to work even longer hours, though not necessarily at the office. What are your thoughts on this? More from me later.

No comments: